I picked up the bag of Neive’s outgrown clothes before christmas, but since christmas gets in the way of everything, I didn’t get into it until the festivities were over. With a memory quilt, a bit of extra effort is required to get to the start line. The first job was, of course, to cut up the clothes into usable bits. I didn’t really go to town when cutting. Rather than saving every last scrap of material, I was ruthless, just going for decent sized areas and discarding the rest. There are cases where you might want to preserve everything which might possibly be usable, but kids go through clothes at a mile a minute, so if I need more there won’t be a problem. This took quite a while, and everything still needs to be pressed properly, but at least I was in a better position to take stock of what I actually have to work with.
That said, I have no idea what is there in terms of fabric area, but it looks like plenty. Unsurprisingly, there’s quite a lot of pink, some reds and quite a lot of blues, a bit of denim, including a lime green I’m quite partial to, and a lot of very pale or white fabrics. Most of the fabrics are cotton knit t shirt or fine jerseys. I’ve not worked with these types of fabrics before in terms of quilting, but I have modified a few t shirts, and they are awkward to work with because they lack stability. I want to take this into account when thinking about the design for this quilt, which is the next step!